Last Updated on December 18, 2022 by CHANDRAMANI
You face the problem of opening the door when you place it in a small space. The door cannot be opened from that side and the only solution is to reverse the mini-fridge door.
You can do refrigerator door reversal by yourself quickly with the help of a wrench and screwdriver within an hour at your place by this step-by-step guide.
How easy is it to reverse a fridge door?
Fridge door reversal is an easy task and you can DIY it with the help of some tools. However you can forget the order of assembly after taking out the parts, so you can label them in orders.
What does reversible door mean on a fridge?
A reversible door on a fridge means that you can fix your refrigerator door to open it with a left or right swing as per your convenience. The door reversal feature makes the fridge easy to place anywhere in your home or workplace.
You can reverse the door quickly as per your requirement anytime by removing few bolts and parts.
Also Read: The Best Mini Fridges without Freezer
What precautions you should take before reversing the door of your mini fridge?
- Unplug your Fridge from Power Source– You would not want to get an electric shock while you reverse the fridge door. So, take out the plug. Also if you tilt your fridge without unplugging it, this could damage the compressor and other parts.
- Remove all Contents– You should empty your fridge before attempting to reverse the door so that the food placed inside doesn’t fall out and gets wasted.
- Don’t plug in immediately– After the process of reversing the door if the appliance is placed on its back or side for any length of time during this process, it must be allowed to remain upright for 6 hours before plugging it in to avoid damage to the internal components.
Useful Tools for Refrigerator Door Reversal
Also read: The Best Mini Fridge for Kegerator / The Best Garage Mini fridges
How to reverse the mini fridge door?
To Reverse the door of a refrigerator or mini-fridge, follow the steps as follows
- Fix the door with Tape(Optional)- After removing the hinges the door of the mini-fridge can fall apart so fix it with tape as shown above so that it doesn’t falls and damage the door or hurt you.
- Remove Hinge Cover– Use a screwdriver to remove the hinge cover. Generally, most mini-fridges have a hinged cover on the hinges. Removing the hole cover may require a flat blade screwdriver
- Remove the screw– After removing the hinge cover you can see the three screws. Using a Philips head screwdriver, loosen and remove the screws holding the top hinge in place.
- Remove the hinge – Remove the upper hinge from the top right side of the cabinet.
- Remove the hole plugs- Now you can remove the crew hole plugs from the opposite side and insert plugs in the screw hole openings of the just removed screws.
- Turn the Refrigerator on its back- Remove any loose items in the refrigerator and carefully turn the refrigerator on its back and place it in a secure area.
- Remove the lower hinge- Loosen the screws holding the lower hinge bracket to the refrigerator and remove the screws and bracket.
- Remove the hinge pin– Remove the door pin by turning counter-clockwise and reinsert to the underside of the bracket and tighten.
- Align the bracket- Align the bracket and insert the screws into the holes provided.
- Align the door– Align the hole in the door with the door pin and washer and gently push down until firm.
- Check Door & Cabinet alignment– Align the upper hinge bracket with screw holes, insert screws, and partially secure. Check that the door and cabinet are properly aligned and then secure tightly.
- Replace the hinge cap.
Also read: The Best Mini Fridge for Baby Bottles (Breast Milk)
Video Guide for Fridge door reversal
Also read: Best Retro mini fridge with Freezer
In order to reverse your mini-fridge just follow the step-by-step guide and you can reverse the door within an hour by yourself. You need a screwdriver with which you can open the screws. After reversing the door you can open your mini-fridge in opposite direction.
You can check out the reference guide, and product manual of danby mini fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which side should a refrigerator open?
How do you change the door on a mini-fridge?
1. Remove the hinge cover
2. Remove the screws holding the hinge
3. Remove the top hinge and door of your fridge
4. Remove the screw-hole plugs and reinsert them
5. Remove the lower hinge bracket.
6. Replace the door of the fridge and fix hinges on the opposite side along with screws.
Can you change the direction a refrigerator door opens?
Can refrigerator doors be removed?
Read Next: The Best Gaming mini fridge
Hi, I am Chandramani Bhushan. I have worked in the home appliances industry for more than 5+ years where my primary work was to check the performance and quality. I am also the owner of many home appliances in my home and love to share my experience through this blog.
I started this blog in 2020 to help users find solutions related to freezers, refrigerators, and other home appliances. Also, through this blog, I help people find the right option by giving a detailed guide and help them decide on a product.